Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ollie's wife has made a short slide show for all of us to enjoy. There has been a lot of talk about Ollie's engorged Uvula. Seems he didn't have enough problems when he came in. So, the anesthetist ran a tube down his throat and really messed his mouth/throat up. I have never seen anything like this, and can't even imagine the discomf0rt associated with it !

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/EY6uQ6zi

This was her( Ollie's wife--Jackie) post about the situation:

I know I've made a lot of jokes about Ollie's uvula. I shouldn't have,because it is very serious. He had a bad fever last night, and the uvula was getting bigger by the minute. They think that the nurse anesthetist sucked it up in the vacuum when he was being extubated after surgery.Of course, given that he had that open fracture, AND was getting IVAncef (which clearly wasn't touching his infected uvula) we had to wonder about those nasty antibiotic resistant microbes which are raging in the hospitals these days.
We got irritated when the ENT blew it off. They weren't wanting to get involved in the sordid messturbation of Ollie's seriously engorged uvula. To make the very long uvula story shorter (size does matter),Ollie got some Amoxicillin and decadron sometimes after midnight this morning. His fever roared a bit more in the wee hours, but I guess it"broke" as they say, because this AM Ollie's uvula is quite flaccid,which is no less disturbing to the poor thing than the uvular priapismthat he has been suffering with the last 48 hours. Now the uvula is quite long and thin. We suspect that this may be permanent unless he gets surgical intevention.I'll keep you updated. For now, you can view this movie called"Engorged Uvula"
http://photoshow.%20comcast.net/%20watch/EY6uQ6zi
which was finished just last night.
I will now start on my next feature, a sequel called "Flaccid Uvula".
Thank you, Kathy, for your concern.
I pray this never happens in your family.
Jackie

Latest Email from Ollie--

I'm improving steadily n will probably go home today or tomorrow, Had a fever last night which I assume is from my poor old uvula. It seems to be traumatized and got infected. My anesthesiologist must have played games with it and the suction tube. Jackie has made a video slide show that she'll post on youtube to my shame and embarrassment. It is pretty funny.
Ollie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home