Sunday, June 17, 2007

Yesterday was a spectacular day. You could really choose the conditions that you wanted to fly in. Whether it was in the heat of the day with rodeo air, or later in the day with less rock'n'roll and still fly in some good ridge lift. I had a lot of work to do at the house, so the earlier flight wasn't really an option,, so I settled for later in the day. There was still some nice thermals to challenge, and tease us to see just how high we could get. 2 1/2 hours before dark, I was still able to work a couple of snaky thermals to a little over 1,200 over the mountain. Carl told me that in the heat of the day, he was able to get about 7,000 over, however, that still wasn't to base. A couple other pilots told me that earlier is was really rowdy and gnarly. Wish I could have played in it, but I was happy to take my 2 hours as I got them. At least I was able to take off and fly for a while. I have never enjoyed a glider more than I do this new Sport 2. The launching and landing characteristics of it are incredible. There was many times yesterday in the ridge lift as light as it was, I would have been on the deck in my old K-4, however, I stayed pretty high in the stack most of the time with full VG. I have yet had a need for the wheels that I have on the base tube, however, they will come in handy when I tow.
On a more somber note, Ollie Gregory, Pilot and all around Great guy, stalled his rigid today off of Whitwell. He blasted his knee terribly, and had to have surgery this evening. Jackie, his wife, said he was going to be immobile for a long time, but he was in great spirits. Thanks went out to Carl, Terry Presley, Wayne, and Eric Donaldson for their assistance getting him off the front of the mountain. Goes to show, Bad things happen to good people. He is tops in my book, and I will be saying a major Prayer for him this evening. Hope you will do the same.
Thanks & Gentle summer breezes !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home