Thursday, November 05, 2009

A friend of mine,Tom shown below, sent this email out today, trying to get the correct information to all of his friends at the same time. I'm sure that some will be left out of the loop, so when you get this, would you please copy and paste this in an email to all the people in the hang gliding community, and to all the Prayer Warriors that you know. This is a good man, and a great hang glider pilot, and it's a shame bad things happen to good people ! ! By His Stripes ! !


"This has been an amazing few weeks. I don't know who knows what, so let me summarize what's been going on.

It started with what I thought was a summer allergy. We had astronomically high pollen counts, so I thought the stuffy nose and occasional watery eye was just from that.

After the pollen count subsided, but the problem didn't, I checked with the local doctor who put me on antibiotics and decongestants, thinking it was an infection. After a month of medicines with no improvement, the dr saw something, 'I don't know what it is, but I don't like it.' An x-ray showed some dark mass in my sinus cavity. Not very pretty.

The first trip to the ear, nose and throat DR. was less than reassuring. Good chance that it's a cancerous tumor. But let's do some more screening to get a better look. Feeling down.

The better look (an MRI) showed a mass like a balloon inflating, not good considering it's parked against my brain, but based on the shape, there's a good chance it's not cancer.Feeling a bit 'up'.

In for surgery to have 'it' removed. Guess what. it is a rare cancer of the sinus cavity that occurs in 1 of a milliom people. That's why it didn't look like the typical cancer. This type of cancer shows the exact symptoms as a sinus infection, so the initial diagnosis would have been correct 999,999 times out of a million. Back to feeling down.
Then it's where to go for treatment, At first, the best available place was in Houston,but they can't see me until the end of November. So, Sloan-Kettering in NY now seems to have the nod, having an opening for an evaluation on Friday.

There is also a problem with my one eye, but that is pretty insignificant, all things considered.

So, 2 quick favors. First my family and close friends have all been through the 'up and down' series with me. If you are a prayer person, please send along a wish for hope and guidance for them. It's been a big strain on everyone. Second, there are alot of folks whose e-mail addresses I don't have. Feel free to forward this to an acquaintance whose address you have. I'd prefer that the correct info is out there instead of someone being misinformed. Thanks. "

Love Tom

2 Comments:

At 6:21 AM, Anonymous Catherine Gagnon said...

Hey Ray, please send our love and energies to Tom, one of the fittest guy of Lookout, who always amazed me with his running up the mountain! Cat and Steve XXX

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Will do ! Hope life is treating you fantabulously !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home