Wednesday, March 03, 2010

I'm in Laurel, Mississippi tonight due to the fact that all the cell towers didn't pass phase 2, and the work that needs to be done on them will have to be done by the night crew and tested tomorrow.
I just had an eye opening experience, that don't set well with me. Mainly, because of my ego, pride, or just call it what you will.
I left my hotel room on a quest to find something to eat for supper. The last time that I was here, I remembered eating at the Western Sizzler, and it was okay for some relatively inexpensive food, and it's all you can eat at the buffet. So, I come beeboppin' in, told the attractive young lady taking the money that I would have the buffet and a sweet tea. Tax and all was just over $8. I thought that was a dang good price for supper, especially when a big mac combo was almost that much, and went on in the dining area. I noticed right off that the place was pretty crowded, and that to me, that's a good sign. When the locals frequent an establishment, then most of the time, the food is good. I noticed something else. Most of the people in there reminded me of my Grandparents, or what grandparents are suppose to look like. Walkers, white hair, silver hair, sweat pants, ball caps, hearing aids, etc.... I found myself a table a little to the back, since I really enjoy watching people, so I could enjoy my meal, and have some entertainment as well. I like to imagine where people are from, what their lives had been like, what they had done for a vocation, etc....
This young lady approaches me, and asks what I would like to drink, and I tell her. Then, I said something to the effect of it being Geritol night?? Without a beat, she looked at my ticket and said, '" You got the Senior Discount, also Sir", smiled and went off to get my tea. I stood there, probably with my mouth hanging open at what she had just said.
O M G,,, my secret is out. Does everyone on the planet know I'm over 50???? Does AARP call everyone to let them know this kind of information??? My insides wanted to yell out,,,,But, I don't feel 50,,, why is this happening so soon?? I know life is like a roll of toilet paper, get faster the closer to the end, but come on. I didn't know if I should be offended, or flattered, or what.
So, I did the only thing that I could do,,,Sat down, ate supper, and was thankful for the $4 off of my meal. Just had to call my Dad,,,,He just laughed at me, told me to save my receipt, frame it as my first Senior Citizen's discount. My Dad's kind of brutal sometimes.
What I took away from this, more than anything, is a passage from the Bible. Judge not,,,lest ye be judged. I'm just learning all kind of lessons on this trip ! argg

2 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it, had to laugh out loud.
And yes frame that sucker. unless it is thermal paper.
wj

 
At 2:13 PM, Anonymous Daphne said...

I'm a few years older then you ,but I know how it was the frist time I got one.Like you and I stell feel like I shouldn't be over 50 yet .I have a twin and we went out to eat one day and she got it and I didn't that made me feel so good,but now we both get it.,oh I guess it's a way of passagse,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home