Friday, March 23, 2007

Sometimes, others can say things that we often can't. They see things in a different light, and from a different perspective. Thus, the reason for this post.

My name is Alan.
I have had an interest in aviation since I was a child. I took a hang gliding lesson in Oklahoma City in the fall of 1980. I skimmed just above the ground for a hundred feet or so leaving grass stains on my jeans and a grin on my face that still returns occasionally. I've always wanted to fly something, but I married young, had a bunch of kids and spent everything I made raising them. The kids are grown or nearly so, my career has been fairly successful and I'm married to a great lady.
I still want to fly.
I've spent the last six months or so researching my options: Private pilot, sport pilot, ultra light, paraglider, powered paraglider and hang glider. I've had to ask myself: Why do I want to fly? What do I want to do with it? Why do I need to fly? I still am working on the answer to that question. I spent Saturday afternoon hanging(pun intended) out with some really nice people on the sunny side of Buffalo mountain. Based on the four or five hours I spent there, I made some initial observations. It's not often that we can see ourselves the way others see us, so I thought I'd post this for you to see.
I'm not claiming any of this to be absolute truth, only my observation.

1. Hang glider pilots and paraglider pilots are a friendly bunch.I contacted Mike Kelsey by e-mail before I drove down. He e-mailed back and talked to me by phone to let me know about the area and the sport.Once I was on the mountain, all I had to do was ask a question and people told me all I could ever want to know. I felt welcome from the moment they realized I was interested in the sport. Once they found out I had taken a lesson in 1980 I was an honorary old-timer. Mel Hair spent hours educating me and trusted me with his truck before he knew my name. Ron Kohn, a visiting paraglider pilot, told me of his travels, the virtues of paragliders, a good place for lessons and the dangers of being a partially educated pilot.

2. Hang gliders are better than paragliders.The hang glider pilots told me all the ways that hang gliders are superior to paragliders. Performance, speed, glide ratio etc.

3. Paragliders are better than hang gliders.Portability, light winds, ability to catch thermals, short turning ratio, check it as luggage on airlines.Note: this is not a bad thing. We need to fly what we love. I believe that each mode of flight has its own unique charms.

4. You don't have to have a dog to fly, but it helps. Paraglider pilots have german shepards, hang glider pilots tend to have border collie or heeler mixes(based on my afternoon on the mountain).

5. You don't have to be single, but it helps.No comment.

6. The sport is not for cocky, young risk takers.
I really expected to be the old guy(I'm 45), but I was in the middle of the pack. Dave, who lives on the mountain came by to check things out (he's at least 46). He answered several of my questions. Bruce, who also lives on the mountain came by, with his dog. He told me about lenticular clouds. Dave, a retired member of the Army special forces was watching for favorable winds to fly his paraglider. A nice young couple from Texas was there, no dog. He had about a two hour flight from Buffalo reaching 4000 feet. Warren ? was the first to launch. His family was there to watch and support him. I've already mentioned Mel, who was very friendly and informative. Ron, the visiting paraglider filled me in on the advantages of paragliding and told me of his travels.

7. The pilots are mature, technical, competent, patient and cautious.I think the patience impressed me as much as anything. I waited for hours to see any action on the hill. Each pilot watched and waited for safe, optimum conditions. Some flew, others declined. Each pilot followed a routine as they had hundreds of times before, checking equipment and checking again. I listened to Mel talk about his kite and its history, hang gliding, thermals, equipment, progression through the various ratings, the history of the geographic features in front of us and anything else I asked about.
When I held the wires of his kite as he prepared to step off into the rising air currents in front of him I heard a different tone in his voice, that of a man preparing to face his fears. "Fears" may be the wrong word. It appeared to be a mix of fear, respect, and anticipation. After over twenty five years of hang gliding, each launch is still a step into the uncertain. His voice continued to explain what he was watching in front of him as he watched the cycles of air moving up the face of the mountain so that I could understand what he was waiting for. I watched his face for clues that he was ready and that the winds were right when I saw him take a couple of deep breaths. The breaths were those of a man doing what he loves with a huge dose of fear and respect.. And then he yelled "clear!", and stepped into the sky.I won't pretend to understand to understand why people hang glide. I suspect that the reasons are as varied as the people who do it. I suspect that for many, it feeds their souls in a way that nothing else can. To be extraordinary in a way that others can only imagine and experience the world in ways that only a bird can know.

Many people are prevented from doing things that appeal to them because they let their fears keep them from the attempt. The men that I met Saturday are not limited by those fears. Thank you for sharing your day with me.

Alan Wilson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home