Friday, September 14, 2007

Dr. Bruce Short will be dearly missed by everyone that knew him. He was a very caring, and generous man. Unfortunately, I only had the pleasure of being around him a couple of times. He passed away one afternoon while taking a nap after playing a round of golf. Something that he loved doing as much as hang gliding. He was only 51 years young. What a tragic loss for our community, and our lives. The world was definitely a better place with him in it.

There was over 65 people in attendance at his wake this evening. Many of his friends, and families stood up and told "Bruce stories", about the good, and not so good times of the memorable past with him in their lives. Many had a tough time with it, which was more than understandable. Through their stories, sharing of the memories, the laughter, I was moved ever so much. Matt, and other friends that started out together, told of the tough times when the flight park was but a dream, and he had yet to started Med. school. Kind of reminded me of a brotherhood of pilots. Which I guess, in a sense, is what we all are a part of, those that love this sport, and are actively pursuing those elusive thermals and XC days, Birdwannabes. He started touching the sky back in the '70's.

This was one of the most beautiful fresh flower arrangements I have ever seen.
He was also a member of the Royal Order of the Raven. Back when we were still able to fly Grandfather Mountain. Oh, and remember "The Great Race"?
He also had a great love for the fireworks. So, it was only fitting that we had some this evening. I was lucky enough to get this shot of them.


I won't forget this evening for a long time. Everyone brought dishes of food, to go with the ham & turkey that Doris put out tonight. What a feast that we had. The food, keg, desserts, stories, and the loving friendship was a very rare treat, and it is a shame that all of it had to be shared under these circumstances. It is always amazing to me how fast times passes by. There was some regrets that was shared this evening. Words spoken in anger, over trivial things, left unmended until it was too late. I wonder how many people have those like situations in their lives right now. Having not spoken to a brother or sister, mother or father, son or daughter, etc..... for a long time, because of something that happened, and you may not even remember what it was about. Yet,,, time goes by and it is left unresolved, when it could have been mended sometimes with a simple phone call. However, pride is a wicked beast, and will eat your lunch if given the chance. Would you rather have regrets? or a mended fence? Which would make your future a little brighter? Myself, I believe that life is too short to cause other people greif. Every person that you come in contact with, on a Daily basis, is fighting some kind of battle. Are you going to make it better, or add to it? Make someone's day,, make a phone call to someone you love and miss in your life, if you have a fence to mend. If not,,,, Gentle breezes, my friend.

5 Comments:

At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ray,

I went to high school with Bruce, although I was a year behind him, and I was wondering if you will give me permission to post your blog entry and photos on the almuni Web site that I maintain.

We were all saddened to hear of his passing, but the many tributes paid to him are important for us to share as well. Most of us did not know what a wonderful person Bruce continued to be after high school. I am grateful that you shared your thoughts on your blog, and I would like to pass them along to others.

Please let me know, and I will add your link and credit your blog.

Thank you,
Becky Branham Dimon
Ben Lippen School Class of 1974
becky@compuserve.com

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Ray's blogger said...

I hope that you got my email. You have permission to use and or all of the pictures for Bruce that you want, or need. Glad to be a small part of it.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I worked with Bruce at U.K. hospital. I always teach the ortho residents what he taught me, kindness and the desire to alleviate pain. What a loss. Rev. R Cooksey R.N.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ray - thank you for your wonderful memories of Dr. Short. My husband and I were patients, and Dr. Short told us to consider him our family orthopedist. We both loved and admired him so much, and we grieve over his much too early and sudden death. Unfortunately, we did not know of his passing until early October, so we missed the wonderful wake. How I wish we could have been there because we had lots of stories to share, very much like everyone else who ever knew Dr. Short. We send our deepest sympathy to his family and all of his friends and co-workers. Our hearts are sad, and the world is a poorer place, though Heaven is blessed with another angel.

Linda and Tom Brewster
Rocky Face, GA

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger Ray's blogger said...

There were lots of good stories told that evening. It would have been better to of had it videoed. However, that's hindsight. I took lots of pictures. I hope you enjoy those! I'm sure his wife would love to hear from you !
Peace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home