Monday, June 23, 2008

This post is about http://www.flightsforcharities.org/ , and Jim Rice. Quite possibly the toughest post that I've done in a very long time, for a couple of reasons.
Reason 1 - I took a lot of pictures doing this, and trying to pick out the best to portray this event, was almost impossible to do. The rest of the pictures will be posted somewhere, just don't know where yet. I will let everyone know, in the next day or two.
Reason 2 - I had REAL reservations about a Hang 2 pilot attempting 39 mountain launches in a single day. Especially, in the conditions that developed during the day. It was great conditions until it started heating up. It was very thermatic, and switchy,,,and I'm being nice.
Reason 3 - some of the set-up & breakdown crew had never been around a hang glider before. Much less setting up 3 different kinds of gliders Falcon, Pulses, Stingx2, and his final flight was taken on a Horizon.
With all these factors in the mix,,,where ever I was, I was trying to keep a watchful eye for Murphy ! Jim's first launch was scheduled for 5:59am. Due to rain the night before, and the cool air associated with it,,,well,,,, you see the result in the picture above. This shot was taken at 8am, 2 hours later.

This is some of the set-up crew on launch, waiting on the fog to move out so that they can "Get this party started". You can imagine the mood at this point. However, at 10am, the fog broke, and we finally got a glimpse of the LZ and the race was on.
Below, is the amazing breakdown crew. Most of these guys stayed for the duration, instead of just doing their 4 hour shift.
Below is a shot of Jim taking his last flight of the day, on his own Horizon glider, to achieve his goal for such a worthy cause. This was the only landing that he did on his feet. Smart move, to wheel it in all day.
The crew applauding Jim on his way to the score board.
Below is the most everyone that was involved with "Flights for Charities".

There is a lot more to be said about this event. I will try to make it brief and to the point on here, so I don't bore anyone to tears.

Experience, in my opinion, is the only reason that I feel this event was a total success. He had all of his aces in the right places, people like Terry & Linda Presley, Scott Schneider,and others. With their extensive knowledge & experience, when things were a bit unsafe, or the approaches were less than desirable, or things on his pre-flight were missed,etc....they did what had to be done to ensure proper safe procedures. Jim was the first to admit that. He thanked everyone and told them that he could not have done it without them. Everyone from the setup crew, breakdown crew, the drivers that drove him up the mountain, Doris, Debbie,and others, for the food & water all day, Lia(the floater extraordinaire'), go-cart drivers, they all did a most outstanding job, and put any doubts that anyone had(even myself),to rest. Many people made the comment,"they look like well oiled machine". And, by the end of the day, that's what these folks were! Well, it may not have been oil, however......

Jim Rice made 39 mountain launches on 6-22-08, in 9 1/2 hours, which is 1 mountain launch every 14 minutes, and raised $6,222.45 for http://www.flightsforcharities.org/ . I know that money figure is incorrect because a lot of pilots, after they flew for a couple of hours and watched it from the air and then landed, came and pledged more money to this cause.

I challenge anyone to do any better. I think Guinness World Records ought to be called !

Think he should get a meritorious Hang 3 out of this?

4 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written. I too thought he would never make his goal of 39 flights. I live and learn.

Dub

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger krb said...

great job! looking forward to seeing your other photos, you can see my photos of the event here..
http://picasaweb.google.com/krball2888/FlightsForCharity
Thanks, Ronnie Ball (Driver)
krball2888@gmail.com

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

To be quite honest, with a four-hour late start, I had quietly written 39 off, myself. But, when we finished 5 flights in the first hour, our goal, once again, looked reachable. However, I've said it many times before and I'll say it many times again -- we pulled this off because the Ground Support Team KICKED BUTT for nine hours and fifteen minutes straight. My admiration for them will last a lifetime. Thanks to Ray for helping us chronicle this important event.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Ray's blogger said...

I really enjoyed taking the pictures for this. It was equally enjoyable watching everyone working so hard as a great team.
Thanks Ronnie, will be posting the very soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home