Tuesday, April 15, 2008

This is a thank you post from Candy, Bob's wife. There are some people that aren't on the local mailing lists, and I felt this might reach a few that might not get this important message, otherwise.
We asked Dan Barker to put all the pictures on the website, and they are now uploaded to his site. The link to it is in the right column on here that says---Lots of pictures. Click that link, and at the top of the page is listed,,,,Bob's Wake. I think that there are a couple of Barry's pictures on it also. We hope that you enjoy them.


"It was so nice to see the number of people who came to Bob’s memorial. It was a sad occasion to gather, but the love and support from all of you was so wonderful. I want to thank everyone for being there, and those who were there in their hearts.

Bob had an incredible life, and I am happy that we were able to celebrate it in this manner. The hang gliding community truly knows how to honor their own.

I have a lot of special thanks that I want to extend. They are in no special order. After Bob’s death, I was basically brain dead. So many people came to my rescue. Some I didn’t even know about until later. I can’t begin to express how much this meant to me. For a couple days, I didn’t even realize I didn’t have my family here. It felt like I did. All of you have become my family.

Kim O’Neil. Kim was my brain for weeks. She gave me a place to stay, comforted me, took care of all the details, made me lists, made me eat, drove me everywhere, made phone calls for me, made me laugh, and when I was ready, made me start doing my own follow-up. One of the qualities of a good friend is that they kick you in the ass when you need to get moving on your own. Kim spent hours doing the PowerPoint presentation that was showing on the screen. Thank you so much for being there, Kim.

LMFP and Matt Tabor. Matt provided the tandem flight, pilot and tug. Matt and Bob go way back. I truly appreciate this, Matt. Thanks to Shawn (the ground crew), Mike L. for the flight to 5000’ to get “cloud dust” on Bob for the last time, and Dave Miller for taking them all up there. I couldn’t have chosen a better team for Bob. Thanks to you all.

Roddy and Rex. Roddy provided the computer and ran the presentation of pictures. Rex brought the big screen TV. I watched Bob’s family and friends watching. It was absolutely beautiful on the TV. I wasn’t expecting something so alive and full of memories.

Barry B. Thanks for the pictures you gave to Kim for the presentation. Especially the Georgia delegation dancing on the picnic table at Wallaby on New Years a couple years ago!

Cameron. What can I say? Cameron contacted the National Guard for a military honor guard. He set it all up. The flag ceremony was almost more than we could handle. Bob was a Viet Nam veteran. When they played Taps, the first two notes were so long and slow. I don’t think there was a dry eye there. Cameron, I’m so glad you arranged this. It added so much dignity to the memorial. Bob deserved this. I have this and so much more to thank you for, including the keg you and Jean provided. You were such a good friend to Bob. Thank you for all you’ve done, and I’m so sorry for all I put you through.

Linda and Terry. Again…what can I say? You are the best neighbors in the world. You know what you did. I can never express how thankful I am. Terry & Linda protected my house and cat. This is the least of what they did. There are no words that can say how thankful I am for you both.

Ann E. Thank you for bringing the flags. It went so well with the military honor guard there.

The Ladies of the Kitchen. Thanks so much to Melissa, Nancy, Wendy, Debbie, Lia, Dale and Doris. What would we do without our volunteers? They worked behind the scenes.

Ray. Thanks for the CD and pictures on your blog. They were wonderful! You do such an excellent job. You did again.

Bill and Jane C. Thank you so much for the pictures and dessert. Bill and Bob used to come down to Lookout during the 70s, when Bob first started flying.

Susan F. Susan provided desserts for the Memorial. Thank you so much, Susan. I truly believe desserts should be eaten before the meal… so you have room for them.

Rick Sr. Thank you for coordinating Taps at the appropriate time. Also, for acting as the Marine Staff Sergeant again. Rick walked up to the poor bugler standing at attention in the sun for so long with his black uniform. He said, “At ease soldier” and told him to take a break.

Liz. I totally appreciate that you offered your rental property for Bob’s family to stay in. They absolutely loved it! This really helped me out so much. You probably don’t realize how much. (Also for the hiking trip invitations to me and my family).

Doris. Thank you, Doris for being there for everyone all the time. We all truly appreciate you, your organizational skills, your caring.

I would also like to thank Dade County Sheriff Patrick Cannon for his kindness and consideration during a trying time."

Candy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home