Thursday, June 29, 2006


Once upon a time..... Yesterday was the most flustrating day I have experienced in a very long time. It started in Atlantic City, New Jersey where I was trying to take a flight home. However, they wanted and extra $385 to fly from there instead of Philadelphia. I headed to Philly. Got there with plenty of time, 5 hours worth of extra time. No biggie, I am easily entertainted so I found stuff to do until 6 o'clock. At that point, the flight was delayed until 8:30. Okay, whats a little more time. They postponed the flight 5 times. The last time, it was until 11:20. The plane was being repaired in Atlanta, and would be arriving then, maybe. Of course, me having a one way ticket, securtiy had to do the entire deal and go thru everything that I had, in great detail. Well, it did arrive and we boarded then. I must have gotten the very last seat avalible on the flight. I was on the last row, in the corner, window seat without a window, next to the engines. The seats didnt recline either.
Anyway, with the plane being delayed until that time, I missed the last shuttle van back to Chattanooga, which left at midnight. Hertz rental car is open 7/24s so no problem. Until I landed and tried to rent one. This snooty woman told me sarcatically, that they dont have any cars to rent that go one way. I had just turned in one of their cars at 2:00 this afternoon, to the tune of about $1,800, and they cant let me have one of their cars tonight???Its 2:30 in the AM and I am stuck at the airport until 6am when the next shuttle is suppose to start again? To say I was very,mmm, upset to put it mildly.
About 3am I am sitting out front of the airport in a wheelchair(only seat that wasnt concrete) with my luggage, and this old man comes shuffling over to me. I went, OH great now a bum coming over. I was in NOOOO mood for this. I saw him earlier going thru the garbage and ashtrays on top of the cans. He comes on over, barely walking, and says," Good Morning". I said I guess for some. He then asks very politely if he can have a light. He had found a very small butt in the ashtray that someone else had discarded, and was going to smoke it. I gave him a light, he very gently Thanked me, and he started shuffling away. I was kind of perplexed, but oh well, to each his own. Then he leaned against the wall, and slid down it to a sitting position, and then layed down to what you see in the picture above and went to sleep. Well, something happened to me right then. Maybe you would call it a reality check, or compassion, or just call it what you will. My whole attitude changed in a instant. Maybe I had a right to be upset at the day, the situation, the whole mess, but was I going to let it eat me up when there was clearly nothing that I could do about it except wait? Think not. So I got into my luggage and found a new pack of smokes and an extra lighter that I had, and took it over to the sleeping man. I thanked him for helping me out of my pity party, and left him with his care package.
I prayed for him, and left him in better hands. I am really blessed.

3 Comments:

At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless your soul ---

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew for a fact you were having a bad day when we talked on the phone. I've certianly had my share of bad days, too. The old man was GOD way of letting you know how good you (and I) really have it. He didn't have to say a word and somehow a terrific message was communicated and fully understood by you (and now me). You and I both are rich in HIS blessings.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Ray's blogger said...

Yeah, the message was received loud and clear !
Thanks for your comments Barbie & Dub! !
He's Good=---All the time !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home